Saturday, September 1, 2012

Little Things - Part 2


Believe it or not, I’ve actually had a crazy week. Almost every day, I’ve had a new blog idea to share and no time to write. And when I sat down to write today, I was empty-handed. Thank you very much writer’s block (this early in – I think I’m in trouble). So I looked back and decided that at the end of every week, I’m going to write a similar “Little Things” to what I wrote last week. In my day-to-day, there are always these awkward and weird “little things” that catch me by surprise, and make me realize that I’ve been dealt some pretty great cards. I am indeed a lucky duck.

In this rendition of “Little Things,” I’m thankful for Skype, long holiday weekends, and the simple sound of silence.

After a very long week of feeling just a little “off,” I am thankful for the ability to just sit – in absolute silence. Nothing has ever sounded better than this sounded to me after a crazy week of the screaming baby I was watching and way too little sleep. I have absolutely taken for granted the ability to get shit done during the day. Today, on an uneventful and dreary Saturday, I am so thankful for… wait for it… time to do laundry and homework. Mind blown, I know. That’s what I said too.

Today is a lazy Saturday as a result of a busy Friday for me and the mister. Today I’m thankful for long holiday weekends. We spent the afternoon at the fair, smelling a ridiculous amount of deep-fried-everything and farm animals. We shared an ice cream and watched a magic show like we’re children, and I loved every second of it. And for the record – magic shows freak me out. How do you cut people in half without a disgusting amount of bloodshed? But that’s off topic. Then we went out with a handful of friends and had nachos and drinks (and more drinks), and finished off a fun day with Zoolander before bed (what a strange movie). Nothing is more entertaining than being the sober one in a bunch of not-so-sober ones. I recall the mister telling me at one point – “I know I’m drunk because I’m having a hard time controlling my bowels” and by that he very clearly meant bladder. He wasn’t keen on me writing that in my blog, but I laughed too hard not to share it with the world. We’ve all said a stupid thing (or two, or three) under the influence, so no worries mister – I find you hilarious. I love drunken husband.

And on another note, I would like to meet the inventor of Skype and shake his hand, because seeing my 3 year-old sister’s smiley face this morning has made my entire day. Living thousands of miles away from home is hard enough, but the upside is that I get to talk, text, Facebook, and email with everyone on almost a daily basis… except a 3 year-old. She is growing up so fast, and I feel like I’m missing it all. We Skyped this morning for her to tell me about how she peed her pants on the playground (I guess she isn't growing up TOO fast), took a bath, wants tacos/McDonalds for lunch, and demands a puppy (a pitbull, to be precise) for her upcoming birthday. The strangest conversation if you aren’t talking to a 3 year-old, but I loved every second of it. We even played a few minutes of hide-and-seek… on the computer. Don’t ask – she’s just as crazy as me.

"Smile - I'm taking a picture of you.
Alright I'm done... you can stop smiling now."

No comments:

Post a Comment