Wednesday, September 12, 2012

9/11


Heads up: a little more serious than normal. Sorry if you only read for my incredibly awesome sense of humor (sarcasm).

Yesterday would have been a prime blog day to write about what everybody wrote and talked about: the tragedy that our country faced on September 11th, 2001. But you know what? I don’t think we need an anniversary once every 365/366 days to remember the deceased, the brave, the affected, the heroes.

Here goes the kind-of-serious portion of today’s blog. On 9/11/01, I was in 5th grade. I remember an announcement on the loudspeaker to inform the teacher of an emergency meeting. I remember going home and my mom having the television on. I remember not being all that affected because I was a naïve child who had very little idea what was going on. And every year since then, I remember people remembering those lost on that tragic day. I bet you some serious money that my 16 year-old sister remembers every detail of 9/11/01 – do the math, she was pretty young. She has an incredible memory – it blows my mind. But that’s completely beside the point I was trying to make.

Looking back, I feel guilty that as a 5th grader, I had little compassion for the unfolding events. But honestly – I had little idea of the severity, the impact. Now I’m (a little smarter), and I just have to say: I’m thankful I get to wake up, get to live a safe and peaceful life, get to fall asleep next to my military man, knowing the crazy number of military spouses who don’t get this simple little life pleasure. Props to you, people. Serious props to you.

And to completely change topics with no form of smooth transition (a bad habit of mine, if you haven’t already noticed), yesterday a few great things happened to me. I got my new Vibrams (TOE SHOES) in the mail, and my all-time favorite TV show started up again, which now apparently has Ray Romano (who reminds me strangely of my dad). Parenthood – if you’ve never watched it – Go. Now. Seriously. And if you’ve never seen toe shoes, I’ll post a picture of my sexy feet so you can laugh it up like my mom does.



Toe shoes!
And ridiculous "mom jeans".
You would laugh so hard if you saw what my butt looked like in these babies.
They're from Old Navy... But let's be real - I bought them at Goodwill.



No comments:

Post a Comment