Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Isn't it Ironic?


Earlier this week, the mister and I took advantage of the long holiday weekend to head into town and be tourists. The Greek Festival was in town and he was dying for some baklava. Because highway traffic was literally at a standstill for about 10 miles, we made plans to take the bus – and go green, and save gas, and stuff. We walked to the bus stop and waited. And waited. And waited. And after a chilly 17 minutes, the bus didn’t come. So we walked home to bite the bullet and grab the car. What’s $10 in parking fees when baklava was in town? And as we walked away – steps from our house but still within sight of the bus stop, what do we hear? And see? The damn #16 bus. What are the chances that we wait an extra 17 minutes, but in fact the bus was 18 minutes late?

And like Alanis Morissette once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day. Life is just ironic like that. Ironically enough – it poured on my wedding day… so hard we almost had to pull over on the way to the ceremony, where we were already running 35 minutes late. The world was also supposed to end (seriously – judgment day or something) – on my wedding day. More irony. But that’s a whole different story.

So as I went for yet another run last night (ironic enough in itself, if you’ve ever actually met me), all I could think about was the funny and random things that life continues to present me. That’s not necessarily true – I mostly make up my own ironic situations, but whatever. For example – I made myself run 8 minutes the other night just so I could come home and eat the fresh-outta-the-oven pan of brownies I’d just made. And eat them I did…

And while I was convinced that my body was shutting down and just giving up halfway through my run, I thought I stepped in dog poop. Ironically enough, lifting my leg to look at my shoe took more energy than making my whole body run, and I almost fell over (seriously, again. I’m so out of shape). If you were wondering – it wasn’t dog poop. It was just a little pebble stuck in my shoe. So I ran some more – until I saw a big red STOP sign. I felt the world laughing just a little, because really, my body was begging me to stop.

But I continued on, and I became even creepier than I already am (yes, it’s possible) as I started spying into peoples’ windows. Let me explain – it’s not what it sounds like. I was getting bored, so as I ran, I kept looking into all the opened windows to see what the neighbors were up to. Okay, so it is exactly what it sounds like. But seriously, I love to see how people decorate. And then I laughed, because of the irony – that I get dressed (and undressed) in front of the window all the time, because “who is actually looking in the windows, anyway?”

And of course, I am out of ironic examples for today, even though while I was running, my head was about to explode with all these crazy blog ideas – why does that always happen? So for now, just trust me when I say that life is strange, ironic, and random like the stupid bus being 18 minutes late. And also, I hope I got this song stuck in your head, because I’ve been singing it all day. You’re welcome.





“An old man turned 98. He won the lottery, and died the next day. It’s a black fly in your Chardonnay. It’s a death row pardon two minutes too late."


1 comment:

  1. Love it! You should have a small recorder to record your blog ideas whilst running!

    ReplyDelete