Friday, August 24, 2012

The Little Things


It’s the little things in life – like smiley-faced text messages, sparkly shoes, and alcohol in a bag (hold your horses… I’m getting there). Of course, there are more “little things” to my life, but this just seemed to wrap up my today.

Today my first baby sister moved into her dorm. Hour to hour, I waited for text messages, pictures, phone calls, and updates on how it was going. I was nervous for her, since I never faced that moment in my life (boo “bad life choices”), but after I said “So proud of you :)” and she messaged back with “Thanks :)” I knew she’d be okay. I knew that just a few exchanged words were a clear understanding – I know she’s going places, and I couldn’t be happier for her. If I had been granted a magic genie today, my first wish would have been to be there in the unbearable heat, walking up and down three flights of stairs, arranging and re-arranging her little corner of the world. My next wish would have been for three more wishes. Yeah… I’m a little selfish, but this is a no-judgment zone, people.

And since it was Friday, I got to spend just a little more time with the mister. That’s more than a little thing, but I love it just the same. We ate pizza at a strange little downtown bistro, went to Target for the 47th time this week, bought sparkly shoes for the upcoming Air Force Ball (for me, not him), and spent an evening in watching The Big Bang Theory… Bazinga! If you don’t know what that means, watch the show dammit.

So it’s just those little things that make the time pass, from AM ‘til PM, that make me feel like I’m the luckiest gal around. Many of my “little things” are things that normal people just wouldn’t understand, like how hard I laugh when my kitten hides around the corner just to jump up three feet in the air to scare me. Someday, I’ll catch that on video, but for now, just believe me that it’s laugh-out-loud hilarious… except when she makes me spill my colorful alcoholic drink on my not-so-colorful carpet. And speaking of, one of the greatest little things in life, I discovered today – alcohol in a bag. I promised you I’d share my secret, so here goes. Tonight at Target, I found a bag of frozen Strawberry Daiquiri… for $1.99. Nothing could be better… except that the front of the package says “ALCOHOL IS IN IT!” and something about that grammar usage makes my skin crawl.

So the mister and I enjoyed some not-so-frozen drinks (I’m way too impatient to wait 8 hours), and now he’s asleep on the couch. I’m not sure if it’s the half beer and half daiquiri, or the fact that he woke up at 5am. Either way, it’s just another little thing that makes me smile – having to turn the TV volume up so I can hear over both his and the kitten’s snoring. Seriously – my cat snores.





1 comment: